Home » News » Public Safety
Mother, daughter hurt in Spaulding Highway crash in Dover
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4 p.m. after hearing that a vehicle overturned in the northbound lane along Route 16 - the Spaulding Turnpike - between the bridge and the tolls.
It turned out the accident happened in the southbound lane just before the bridge, according to Fire Lt. Steve Lesniak. Lesniak said two women - a mother and her adult daughter - were inside the vehicle when it flipped onto the driver's side, entrapping the daughter. He added firefighters were able to rescue the mother through the rear window, but had to stabilize the vehicle and use hydraulic equipment to free the driver.
"We had to cut open the roof and peel it back," Lesniak said, adding it took about 90 minutes to rescue the daughter.
Lesniak said the late-winter storm caused additional problems for emergency personnel.
"It was pretty bad - blowing snow and sleet over everything," Lesniak said, adding firefighters had to protect the two women from the elements while keeping their tools and equipment - especially the stretchers - covered as the snow kept coming.
Lesniak said firefighters were able to keep two of the southbound lanes, including the high-speed lane, open during the process.
He added ambulance crews from Dover and Newington transported the two women, who both sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
The identities of the two women had not been released Tuesday afternoon. The accident is being investigated by members of N.H. State Police from Troop A, which patrols Rockingham and Strafford counties.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
- Man suffers serious burns in Plaistow house fire - 0
- Fire in Claremont Middle School of 'suspicious' origin - 0
- Construction of temporary bridge in Francestown set to start this month - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Small business owners more upbeat about economy - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid