UNH historian wins Bancroft Prize
Columbia University announce that W. Jeffrey Bolster, associate professor of history, is one of two recipients of the prize for what UNH Media Relations said in a release was Bolster's "gripping and eloquent history of the human impact on the ocean. ''
Bolster , a former seafarer himself, wrote "The Mortal Sea: Fishing the Atlantic in the Age of Sail" (Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2012). The other winner is John Fabian Witt of Yale University for "Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History" (Free Press, 2012).
Bolster's theme is that overfishing is more than a contemporary problem.
He writes that, "Beginning the story well before industrialization emphasizes the longevity of people's short-sighted impact on the ocean, and emphasizes, as well, how modern technology was not necessary to affect the balance of nature. "
"With its deep roots, this tale is probably the longest history possible of Euro-Americans' interaction with any aspect of their natural environment, a story of unrealistic hopes, frequent articulated concerns, destruction, and denial," he said.
The Bancroft Prize is awarded annually by the trustees of Columbia University. There were 223 books nominated and considered for the 2013 prize.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Franklin Pierce to play Shippensburg in Div. II baseball World Series - 0
- Franklin Pierce wins NCAA baseball regional - 1
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- NCAA Baseball: Penmen win again - 0
- College Baseball: Mathieu, FPU cruise in NCAAs - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU rolls in NCAA opener - 0
- College Baseball: DWC stays alive in NCAAs - 0
- Penmen set sights on return to NCAA Div. II World Series - 0
- Daniel Webster nine loses NCAA test - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112