Home » News » Public Safety
Dust causes fire in Rochester industrial plant
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:11 p.m. after dust inside the ductworks caused a fire at Spaulding Composites Inc. at 55 Nadeau Drive, according to Fire Chief Norm Sanborn.
"There were smoldering fires throughout the ducts," Sanborn said, adding firefighters used inspection doors to extinguish the hot spots in 300 feet of ducts.
Sanborn said the first alarm fire recalled firefighters from Rochester while calling in assistance from Dover and Durham, including a rapid intervention team as a precaution. All of the employees were able to safely evacuate from the building and none of the workers or firefighters sustained injuries from the fire, according to Sanborn.
Sanborn said the employees were sent home because it took hours to inspect the system. He added the fire was under control at 2:41 p.m., but as of 6 p.m., some firefighters remained at the scene to help maintenance crews inspect and clean the system.
"There's still some areas which are still smoldering now," Sanborn said, adding it will take time to ensure the fire is out and doesn't rekindle in the ducts.
Spaulding Composites manufactures a variety of components for heavy equipment, air tools, cryogenics, bearing retainers and other specialty items.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072