Home » Opinion » Editorials
The world's new Pope: His voice is very much needed
It is a big deal because the world - Catholic, Christian, and non-Christian alike - still needs a Pope. It needs one, in fact, more than ever.
The world, for all its successes, is in a bad way in many respects.
The disrespect for human life is rampant. Crimes against children, including of a sordid sexual nature (some committed by the church's own priests), underscore that disrespect.
Evil exists, as it always has and always will. But so does good. And voices for good - courageous voices, God-fearing voices - must rise above the din to preach God's word and to live it by example. It seems that new Pope Francis is such a voice.
The TV talking heads will soon focus on other things of the moment, and they will only return to the new pontiff when he reiterates some part of Christ's teachings that they find less than "progressive." But this will not deter him, nor should it discourage people from paying attention to him.
The loudest sound emanating from St. Peter's Square last Wednesday evening was not the roar of approval when the white smoke was spotted. It was the silence that followed this humble man's first action as Holy Father. It was not to offer a prayer for the people but a request that the people pray for him. They did. And we all should.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 5
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax