All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


House fire injures homeowner, Londonderry firefighter


LONDONDERRY - A house fire caused by a candle on Elwood Road late Saturday night sent a Londonderry homeowner and a firefighter to the hospital, fire officials said.


Shortly before midnight Saturday a building fire was reported at 29 Elwood Road. Heavy flames were pouring from the rear of the home when firefighters arrived, Fire Marshal Brian Johnson said. The occupants, the owner and a tenant in a downstairs in-law apartment, were evacuated from the building.


Town assessment records indicate the wood-sided, split-level residence is owned by Nancy Cooper. Johnson said the owner was taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry, where she was admitted overnight for treatment of minor injuries.


The tenant wasn't injured, but a Londonderry firefighter was burned and is in stable condition at the Derry hospital.


Johnson said firefighters had the fire under control by 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, about a quarter of the building was affected.


A four-member American Red Cross Volunteer Disaster Action Team turned out to help, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Lisa Michaud.


The team was able to assist one of the fire victims with immediate needs such as warm clothing and food, Michaud said Sunday. Both victims were referred to additional organizations to help them with long-term recovery.


"We offer assistance to everyone," Michaud said. "But depending on their situation, not everyone accepts."


A Red Cross caseworker will follow up with the fire victims should they need assistance with shelter or other resources in the coming days, she said.

Firefighters from Nashua, Manchester and Auburn provided station coverage while Londonderry battled the blaze, which wasn't their only action overnight.


Several hours later, Londonderry firefighters responded to a second house fire at 5 Shenandoah Ave. They arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. to smoke pouring from the building.


The home was empty when firefighters arrived and the fire was under control in less than a half hour, Johnson said.


Damage was contained to a single room and contents on the structure's lower level. The home sustained minor smoke and water damage.


Fire officials believe an electrical malfunction sparked the blaze.


AGuilmet@newstote.com


Comments


To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:

  • Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
  • Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
  • Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
  • Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
  • Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
  • If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.

Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.

Be the first to comment.

Post a comment


You must sign in before you can post comments. If you are experiencing issues with your account please e-mail abuse@unionleader.com.



More Public Safety

Changing of the guard for Manchester police

   1   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 10:53 pm 6/02  

Toddler's drowning was 2nd in a month in Epping

   0   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 10:47 pm 6/02  

Toddler drowns in Epping pool

   1   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 9:52 pm 6/01  

Officials working to ID body found in river

   0   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 10:50 pm 6/02  

Lincoln police honored for community efforts

   0   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 9:49 pm 6/01  

Toddler's drowning was second in a month in Epping

   0   Public Safety PUBLISHED - 4:12 pm 6/02  


NH Angle - Public Safety