Sure a shamrock I'll be wearin',
'Tis in honor of old Erin,
And bad cess to that gossoon who scowls at me.
For this cherished, small possession
Is an eloquent profession,
That my faith is as St. Patrick's used to be.
It's a part of Irish history,
A token of a mystery,
A badge I'll wear commingled with few fears.
It recalls a nation's glories,
And that host of bitter Tories
Who denied her freedom, seven hundred years.
It's a modest plant, symbolic
Of the Kerry dancers' frolic
In the storied glens where love's young dream was born,
And of whispered words at parting,
When the wars would be astarting,
Where the valiant fell, the women left to mourn.
It's a minstrel's song, a sadness,
And a colleen, and a gladness,
It's the sight of things that really are unseen,
A parade with roar and rumble,
And a thing that keeps one humble,
It's St. Patrick's Day, the wearin' o the green.
It's the years of persecution,
And a soggarth's absolution,
It's the hush that comes at Sanctus out in Clare.
It's the blackthorn of O'Mara,
And a moonbeam over Tara,
It's the fragrance of the roses in Kildare.
It's the starlight that is falling
When the River Shannon's calling,
And the heart that aches for beauty heeds the call,
It's a deeply burning sorrow,
And a prayer that some tomorrow
Will return a prodigal to Donegal.
It's a mystic, shining portal
To the land of the immortal,
Where you talk with Dan O'Connells every day,
Where there's little lust for power,
Where there's glory in an hour,
If your name's like Hurley, Manahan, or Shea.
It's a mist around Killarney,
The shillelagh, and the blarney
It's a rosary, the tinkle of a bell,
It's some candlelight agleaming,
It's a sighing and a dreaming
Of a love that has forever cast a spell.
Some sad hour you may find me,
As I leave this world behind me,
Whisht, I know there'll be some stardust in my eyes,
With the leprechauns beguiling,
There'll be tears but there'll be smiling,
For I'll see a three-leafed shamrock in the skies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
- Music minister Grinnell leaving First Congregational Church - 0
- Bishop makes changes to Diocesan leadership structure - 0
- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, children being held again in Sudan - 0
- Colebrook shrine known for 'Blessing of the Bikes' closing July 1 - 1
- Reports say Sudan to release sister-in-law of NH man - 1
- Diocese of Manchester announces reassignment of priests - 0
- Manchester event at Sacred Heart Church - 0
- Bishop Libasci to visit La Salette shrine - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
- FairPoint union members to meet and talk strike - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax