Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bergeron paces Bruins to win over Panthers
Captain Zdeno Chara netted the game's first goal for the second straight contest. Fourth-liner Shawn Thornton also tallied and Tuukka Rask turned aside 29 shots as the Bruins rebounded from their late third-period collapse versus Pittsburgh on Tuesday.
Shawn Matthias scored a short-handed goal and Scott Clemmensen finished with 28 saves for the Panthers, who are winless in five games (0-4-1).
Chara opened the scoring 3:55 into the first period after unleashing a blast from just outside the left faceoff circle. Bergeron doubled the advantage over 11 minutes later, converting Brad Marchand's feed on the doorstep.
Matthias trimmed the deficit 3:10 into the second period after extending his body to secure a loose puck from rookie defenseman Dougie Hamilton before his backhander beat Rask. Thornton answered with 7:17 remaining in the third by chasing down the loose puck following his initial shot and slapping it home from outside the left post.
GAME NOTEBOOK: With his 246th victory, Claude Julien moved past Milt Schmidt for the second-most wins in Boston history. Art Ross leads the Original Six club with 361 victories. ... Florida RW Kris Versteeg will have season-ending knee surgery following a hit from Tampa Bay's Radko Gudas, who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday. ... The Panthers are 0-for-16 on the power play in March after failing on both opportunities Thursday. The Bruins have killed off their last 22 short-handed situations.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 2
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released