Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bergeron paces Bruins to win over Panthers
Captain Zdeno Chara netted the game's first goal for the second straight contest. Fourth-liner Shawn Thornton also tallied and Tuukka Rask turned aside 29 shots as the Bruins rebounded from their late third-period collapse versus Pittsburgh on Tuesday.
Shawn Matthias scored a short-handed goal and Scott Clemmensen finished with 28 saves for the Panthers, who are winless in five games (0-4-1).
Chara opened the scoring 3:55 into the first period after unleashing a blast from just outside the left faceoff circle. Bergeron doubled the advantage over 11 minutes later, converting Brad Marchand's feed on the doorstep.
Matthias trimmed the deficit 3:10 into the second period after extending his body to secure a loose puck from rookie defenseman Dougie Hamilton before his backhander beat Rask. Thornton answered with 7:17 remaining in the third by chasing down the loose puck following his initial shot and slapping it home from outside the left post.
GAME NOTEBOOK: With his 246th victory, Claude Julien moved past Milt Schmidt for the second-most wins in Boston history. Art Ross leads the Original Six club with 361 victories. ... Florida RW Kris Versteeg will have season-ending knee surgery following a hit from Tampa Bay's Radko Gudas, who was making his NHL debut on Tuesday. ... The Panthers are 0-for-16 on the power play in March after failing on both opportunities Thursday. The Bruins have killed off their last 22 short-handed situations.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hampstead Congregational Church hosts Hunger Action on May 19 - 0
- Chester church plans June Jubilee - 0
- Goffstown church plans yard sale - 0
- Cleric's case a puzzle, concern - 6
- NH minister celebrates 60 years of service - 0
- Religion briefs: Rindge church will hold yard sale - 0
- New pastoral assignments announced - 0
- UUC of Manchester picks McLaughlin - 0
- Orthodox Christians celebrate, reflect - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 1
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 4
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 11
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs