Home  Lakes Region

March 13. 2013 1:58PM

Updated: Propane leak likely cause of Moultonborough home explosion

This photo from the Moultonborough Fire Department shows the home on Red Hill that was leveled early Wednesday morning. A propane gas leak likely caused an early morning explosion and fire that destroyed the vacation home. (COURTESY)

MOULTONBOROUGH — A propane leak is the likely cause of an explosion and fire that leveled a newly built summer home atop Red Hill early Wednesday morning.
According to Fire Chief David Bengtson, multiple callers reported hearing an explosion and seeing fire atop Red Hill at 3:21 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, they found the home - a two-story, 1,500-square-foot, wood-frame building with a garage built under - leveled.
With assistance from the police department, responders soon located the homeowners in Massachusetts, and they confirmed there was no one in the house at the time of the blast.
"When we got to the scene, we found the house had been completely destroyed. Piles of debris were burning," said Bengtson. Fire department personnel had been to the home in the past to investigate a possible fireworks-related or outside fire incident.
According to town tax records, the home is valued at $352,000. The building and the snow plow truck parked in the garage are a total loss.
A member of the State Fire Marshal's investigative team visited the fire scene Wednesday.

 New Hampshire Events Calendar


Upcoming Events
Arts & Entertainment
Family, Community and Culture
Outdoors, Sports and Recreation

 New Hampshire Business Directory



Press Releases

Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26


PLYMOUTH, N.H.— More than 100 scholars will present their latest research on many aspects of medieval and Renaissance culture at the 35th annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum, April 25 and 26...