Icy roads blamed for 5-vehicle crash on Franconia Notch Parkway
Sgt. Jeff Meier of Lincoln police said the chain-reaction accident happened in the Basin Hill area on the southbound side of the parkway shortly after 3 p.m. It closed the southbound roadway for about an hour, leaving traffic backed up for miles.
"It was close to white-out conditions," Meier said. "The weather had turned and the roads had glazed over."
The first car spun out and struck the guardrails a couple times, Meier said. Drivers behind it tried to brake to avoid the car, but a pickup truck struck a Jeep and another car, sending the car into the guardrail.
Just as those four vehicles were about stopped, Meier said, a Toyota Tundra towing a snowmobile trailer came upon the scene and struck the pickup truck.
The roadway was so blocked by the crash that emergency vehicles had to travel northbound in the southbound lane to reach the scene, he said. An ambulance that was taking a patient from Cannon Mountain to the hospital was stuck in the traffic and the patient had to be transferred to a second ambulance that came in from the other direction.
Meier said that area is notorious for icing up in bad weather. "Franconia Notch Parkway has its own weather anyway," he said. "Once it glazes over, it really turns into almost like a ping-pong match up there. Everybody seems to get bounced around."
He said he's seen it so bad that the state trucks have to back up the parkway to sand the roads.
Meier said four of the five vehicles involved in the crash were driven by out-of-state drivers: three from Massachusetts and one from Connecticut.
White Mountains » Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett school board members grapple with district’s future - 0
- Dodgeball returns to Windham schools - 0
- How Rosaly’s garden grew into organic Peterborough farm - 0
- Bedford maintains highest credit rating from Moody’s - 0
- Damn Yankees at Leddy Center July 12-28 - 0
- Dan Brown and Joe Stevens Join Prescott Park Arts Festival's Summer Movie Series - 0
- Loeb School Offers Cartooning for Kids Workshop - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Samples from the world of Pinot Noir - 0
- Moose Hunt Lottery Drawing Is Friday, June 21, 2013 - 0
Dodgeball returns to Windham schools
Raymond man's hope for working van realized
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time