Cheshire County delegation names new county attorney
McLaughlin was one of three assistant county attorneys who were finalists for the elected position left open in December when newly reelected County Attorney Peter Heed stepped down to take a job in the private sector.
As an assistant county attorney, McLaughlin had most recently been prosecuting cases for the Keene Police Department.
John Pratt, chairman of the Cheshire County Commission, said McLaughlin and the other two attorneys were interviewed by the subcommittee before they unanimously voted to recommend McLaughlin to the full delegation.
"It was a combination of experience. He had far more than the other two. He has been with us 20 years. He has been a prosecutor and a defender. He has managerial experience. He was very familiar with the regional prosecutors. He has experience both in the district court and superior court - I thought that was valuable," Pratt said. "We all independently arrived at the same conclusion. What I call, 'This one had the gravitas, the depth.' . Anyway you looked at it, he was the one."
McLaughlin will be interim county attorney until the next election, which is November 2014, Pratt said.
Monadnock Region » Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- To get away, they come to NH - 0
- Win tickets to see American Idol Live! - 0
- Bach's Lunch Series Concludes in June with Music of Night and Nature - 0
- Open House at Owl Brook Hunter Education Center on June 1 - 0
- From middle school to Middle Ages in Windham - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host classic car show - 0
- Book tells story of wife's battle with cancer - 1
- Grantham man is Geospatial Hall of Famer - 0
- Evidence challenged in Craigslist sex extortion case - 0
Lizzie borden took an axe ... or did she?
North Country open for business
To get away, they come to NH
From middle school to Middle Ages in Windham
Many in Salem disappointed by casino vote
Goffstown police sergeant fights suspension
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Casino vote stirs emotions on both sides