Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox spring training camper Doyle ready to face BC
Put yourself in his spikes: You're a former Boston College pitcher in camp as a nonroster player, and you've just learned you'll be working an inning on Thursday, when the Red Sox play their annual exhibition game against the Eagles.
"I'm excited," said Doyle, who grew up in Salem. "It's the first outing of the spring, and to be able to do it against the alma mater in a game that's so much fun for the school, and for the guys on the team, I'm looking forward to it and I'm really glad they gave me a chance."
Doyle, 27, has kicked around for a while. He signed with the White Sox after being selected in the 37th round of the 2008 amateur draft. The Twins selected him in the Rule V draft last year, but he didn't make the team and was sent back to the White Sox, and pitched well for their Triple-A Charlotte club - a 6-3 record and 2.83 ERA in 12 appearances, 11 of them starts - before making a midseason move to Japan to pitch for the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks.
Now he's back in the United States, hoping to find a spot with the team he rooted for as a kid. Oddly, his first test will be against BC.
"It's going to be against guys I've worked out with the last couple of offseasons," he said. "It's guys I know and guys who caught my bullpen sessions there, and played catch with me.
"But I'm still trying to win a job," he said. "And trying to go out there and pitch a scoreless inning and throw as many strikes as I can and get guys out."
Asked, for instance, how he'll pitch if he faces BC catcher Matt Pare, he said, "I haven't actually seen him hit much, so I'm just going to do what I do, get ahead on the count and try to put him away."
The Red Sox game against BC begins at 4 p.m. The Red Sox also play Northeastern at 1:35 p.m. Both games will be seven innings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 21
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released