Gourmet bakery approved for a sweet spot in Salem
Vikki Sciuto, owner of Sweet Ideas By Vikki, began the company out of her home about a year and half ago. Specializing in gourmet cupcakes, decorated birthday and wedding cakes, and brownies by order over the phone and via email, the business has quickly outgrown her home kitchen, Sciuto said.
With her brother-in-law offering a vacant space in an industrial park located at 45 Northwestern Drive, Sciuto approached the town in hopes of gaining permission to add a commercial kitchen to the 600-square foot property.
Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff said the site is located in an industrial zone and uses town water and town sewer. Moldoff said the applicant went before the zoning board several months ago, where she obtained a variance for retail usage. He said town staff recommended that the planning board approve Sciuto's request.
"Because this type of product is typically sold in a retail store, rather than onsite, we felt this was appropriate," Moldoff said, noting that Sciuto's plans are to continue fulfilling orders via phone and email rather than having a traditional storefront.
With no one from the public offering comment, the board unanimously granted a conditional use permit.
Salem » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Of all wild bird songs, the fox sparrow's sound is the 'sweetest' - 0
- Record Powerball jackpot has Granite Staters dreaming - 0
- Online fund set up for Salem house fire victims - 0
- Hooksett Police Commission walks away - 0
- Win tickets to see the Rolling Stones! - 0
- Bedford native keeps Boston close to her heart - 0
- Nashua aldermen approve lease for community garden - 0
- Work begins on dam repairs - 0
- Peterborough tradition welcomes giant puppets - 0
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Of all wild bird songs, the fox sparrow's sound is the 'sweetest'
Win tickets to see the Rolling Stones!
IRS head says Tea Party was not a target
Teen party takes Derry rep by surprise
Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'