Gourmet bakery approved for a sweet spot in Salem
Vikki Sciuto, owner of Sweet Ideas By Vikki, began the company out of her home about a year and half ago. Specializing in gourmet cupcakes, decorated birthday and wedding cakes, and brownies by order over the phone and via email, the business has quickly outgrown her home kitchen, Sciuto said.
With her brother-in-law offering a vacant space in an industrial park located at 45 Northwestern Drive, Sciuto approached the town in hopes of gaining permission to add a commercial kitchen to the 600-square foot property.
Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff said the site is located in an industrial zone and uses town water and town sewer. Moldoff said the applicant went before the zoning board several months ago, where she obtained a variance for retail usage. He said town staff recommended that the planning board approve Sciuto's request.
"Because this type of product is typically sold in a retail store, rather than onsite, we felt this was appropriate," Moldoff said, noting that Sciuto's plans are to continue fulfilling orders via phone and email rather than having a traditional storefront.
With no one from the public offering comment, the board unanimously granted a conditional use permit.
Salem » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No ‘official’ Winni Derby big carch winner announced yet - 0
- Dunbarton neighbors cry foul over proposed chicken barn - 0
- Meredith’s damaged docks expected to be repaired before holiday weekend - 0
- Salem board votes to hire assistant town manager - 0
- Salem town manager defends contract for Town Hall work - 0
- Windham officials proceed with caution on traffic light debate - 0
- Hooksett school board workshop cancelled after two members leave - 0
- Goffstown board sticks with decision to switch library with classroom - 0
- Reviving the Piscataqua River Wherry - 0
New Hampshire Club News
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands