Gourmet bakery approved for a sweet spot in Salem
Vikki Sciuto, owner of Sweet Ideas By Vikki, began the company out of her home about a year and half ago. Specializing in gourmet cupcakes, decorated birthday and wedding cakes, and brownies by order over the phone and via email, the business has quickly outgrown her home kitchen, Sciuto said.
With her brother-in-law offering a vacant space in an industrial park located at 45 Northwestern Drive, Sciuto approached the town in hopes of gaining permission to add a commercial kitchen to the 600-square foot property.
Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff said the site is located in an industrial zone and uses town water and town sewer. Moldoff said the applicant went before the zoning board several months ago, where she obtained a variance for retail usage. He said town staff recommended that the planning board approve Sciuto's request.
"Because this type of product is typically sold in a retail store, rather than onsite, we felt this was appropriate," Moldoff said, noting that Sciuto's plans are to continue fulfilling orders via phone and email rather than having a traditional storefront.
With no one from the public offering comment, the board unanimously granted a conditional use permit.
Salem » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- To get away, they come to NH - 0
- Bach's Lunch Series Concludes in June with Music of Night and Nature - 0
- Open House at Owl Brook Hunter Education Center on June 1 - 0
- From middle school to Middle Ages in Windham - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host classic car show - 0
- Book tells story of wife's battle with cancer - 0
- Grantham man is Geospatial Hall of Famer - 0
- Evidence challenged in Craigslist sex extortion case - 0
- Commerical fishing season set for tasty start - 0
Lizzie borden took an axe ... or did she?
North Country open for business
To get away, they come to NH
Many in Salem disappointed by casino vote
Goffstown police sergeant fights suspension
From middle school to Middle Ages in Windham
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
Casino vote stirs emotions on both sides