Conditions are good for Milford's Winter Festival
Today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., folks will be skating, sipping cocoa and warming up by the bonfire to celebrate winter in New Hampshire.
Recreation Director Nicole Banks said that the annual event has grown exponentially each year, starting with around 150 people the first year to more than 300 attendees the second, and this year she won't be surprised to see 400 or more people turn out for the event.
"Thanks to the weather finally behaving like its winter again, we were able to get a good amount of snow in the field and the ice rink is finally frozen," said Banks.
And the focus of volunteers has been on getting the rink smooth for skating.
"We removed the snow that fell earlier this week and have a great 6-inch foundation of ice," she said. "The top layer was a bit soft, but thanks to overnight temperatures last night it's solid and will be ready to go for Saturday." Gathering around a warm fire will help keep the chills at bay, Banks said.
"The fire pits are always popular for warming up and gathering to talk to friends and family," she said. "This year we are selling s'mores kits and marshmallows for roasting. We also have other warm 'mitten-friendly' foods for sale like chili, popcorn, hot dogs and the soon to be famous grilled pumpkin donut."
There will also be a skate swap at the park, as well as music provided by a DJ. The event is free and open to the public. For more information visit www.milfordrec.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Peterborough seniors know they have friends - 0
- Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Zappa Plays Zappa - 0
- Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow - 0
- Feeling Scrooge-ish? Just visit the Festival of Trees - 0
- Monadnock Conservancy gets towns' financial help - 0
- Wreaths Around Wadleigh auction raises about $1,000 for library programs - 0
- Wreaths Across America get big send-off - 0
- Bedford council to unveil 'conservative' $26.6M plan - 0
- Website: Durham best in NH for young families, Hooksett, Littleton also rank high - 0
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Peterborough seniors know they have friends
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice