'Gangnam Style' video reaches 1 billion views
LOS ANGELES - South Korean rapper Psy's infectious viral hit song, "Gangnam Style," made history on Friday as the first ever video on YouTube to reach 1 billion views, adding yet another record to the song's juggernaut journey into mainstream pop.
The song, first posted on YouTube on July 15, clocked the 1 billion milestone at 10:50 a.m. and YouTube marked the occasion with a dancing Psy doodle next to their logo.
This has been a whirlwind year for rapper Psy, 34, who is the first Korean pop artist to achieve mainstream success in the U.S. after "Gangnam Style," named after the affluent Gangnam District in Seoul, captured viewers' attention.
The rapper recently performed for President Barack Obama, met with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and won the best video award at the MTV Europe Music Awards in November.
The video shows the outlandishly dressed Psy rap in Korean while performing an invisible horse-riding dance, which has become a pop culture trend, spurring many copycat and parody videos.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Here comes the sun' – Summer Season at the Casino Ballroom - 0
- Weekend Top 10 Planner - 0
- James 'Superharp' Cotton bring blues to Tupelo - 0
- Strawbery Banke Museum pays tribute to military past and present - 0
- Newmont Military Band conjures sights, sounds of earlier century - 0
- Trial lawyers recount Whitey Bulger case, 'Departed' film screened at Red Rivers - 0
- It's a bard-worthy ShakesBEERience - 0
- Hundreds of Monadnock Region students team with professional musicians - 0
- Dartmouth musicians tackle 'Mahler boot camp' - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Weekend Top 10 Planner
New Hampshire Club News