Derry parade kicks off holidays
DERRY -- The chill in the air only made it feel more like the holidays on Saturday, as the Greater Derry Londonderry Chamber of Commerce held its annual holiday parade.
Many favorite holiday characters and celebrities could be seen on floats and along the parade route, from Santa Claus and the Grinch to local television weatherman Al Kaprielian.
Local merchants and businesses were also front and center, as the chamber honored Janet Conroy, the first female member of the Derry Board of Selectmen, as Person of the Year, and Mr. Steer Meats of Londonderry as the Business of the Year.
As has become almost as much of a tradition as the parade itself, the Water's Edge Salon and Spa took first place as the best float in the parade for hitting all the festive high points of the season from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day.
The theme of this year's parade was the songs and sounds of the holiday season.The Derry Village Rotary Club helped parade-goers remember the true spirit of the holidays, as Rotary members collected canned goods and donations for local food pantries to kick off the parade.
As the parade has grown into an all-day event over the years, the Derry Recreation Department has helped manage a number of the day's activities.
After wrapping up the parade, Santa and Mrs. Claus could be found at the Derry Memorial Opera House helping youngsters make their holiday wish lists and posing for pictures.
Life & Culture
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pelham High nurse named School Nurse of the Year - 0
- MAKE SURE IT'S ME Opens at West End Studio Theatre - 0
- Harmonica Master James Cotton forced to postpone May 25 Londonderry Performance - 0
- Group continues effort to expand Cotton Valley Trail in Broofield - 0
- For Bedford girl, exploring the world in geography bee a ‘great thing to do’ - 0
- Loon Mountain Resort Unleashes New Obstacles for July 13 Monster Mud Run - 0
- Location Change for N.H. Fish and Game Commission Meeting June 12 - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Samuel Adams makes its can debut - 0
- Parents can plan ahead, model healthful habits... and not stress out - 0
Reviving the Piscataqua River Wherry
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Congo war's legacy follows survivor to NH
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs