YMCA Allard Center members step up to support Marines with care packages
Trevor Langley is an officer with a Marine platoon stationed near the Helmand River in an undeveloped part of Afghanistan.
Members of the Leaders Club at the YMCA Allard Center are collecting items for military care packages that they will ship overseas.
Langley's mother, Denise, is a member of the Goffstown Y and suggested the project.
After emailing her son, Denise Langley suggested the packages include snack and lunch foods such as dried fruit, canned soup, tuna and crackers.
Since Langley's platoon is in a remote area with no military store nearby, they are also looking for hand and foot warmers, toiletries, magazines and newspapers.
Members of the club are seeking donations, which can be left at the YMCA Welcome Center at the 116 Goffstown Back Road branch.
The club includes 25 students who are soliciting contributions for the packages and who will pack them up and send them to Afghanistan.
Club members have also suggested that a personal note be included to remind the soldiers that people back home appreciate their service.
"These men and women are risking their lives every day so that we can live freely," said Leaders Club member Kaila Stewart. "We can't wait to send a piece of home to them."
Langley's platoon of 27 men is scheduled to return home April 14. They have been in Afghanistan since October.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.