Home » Opinion » Editorials
Skiing Bedford: The Legacy lease
Bedford was once so small that informal, verbal agreements with local organizations regarding the use of town property were enough to hold the groups accountable and protect the town property. That is changing.
The Bedford cross-country ski team uses Legacy Park in the winter, as do other hikers, walkers and skiers. The team, which had a verbal agreement with town officials from long ago, did some trail work at the park. It was not authorized by any town official, and it upset some residents.
Instead of ousting the club, as some towns might have done, Bedford officials came up with a one-year lease that spells out what club members can and cannot do. As part of the deal, the club has to restore the trails to their previous condition.
It’s a shame that such arrangements have to be so formal. But the town has to protect its property, and a short-term lease is a good option in this case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win
New Hampshire Club News
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands