Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Angels' Weaver stymies Sox
BOSTON — Jered Weaver tossed seven solid innings to record his 16th victory and Howie Kendrick belted a solo homer as visiting Los Angeles defeated Boston for the second straight night.
Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta collected three hits and an RBI single apiece. Torii Hunter ripped a two-run single and Mark Trumbo added an RBI single for the Angels, who saw slugger Albert Pujols exit the contest with tightness in his right calf.
Pujols legged out a double in the fourth inning before pulling up lame while running to third base on a groundout by Kendrys Morales. Pujols lumbered home on Trumbo’s base hit, but was promptly taken out of the game.
Weaver (16-3) snapped a two-game skid and joined Tampa Bay’s David Price, Cincinnati’s Johnny Cueto and Washington’s Gio Gonzalez with the major-league lead in victories. Weaver ended a three-game losing skid to Boston by allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five.
Making his 100th career appearance, Clay Buchholz (11-4) fell for just the second time in his last nine decisions. He permitted seven runs and matched a career high with 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Aviles and Cody Ross had RBI doubles for the reeling Red Sox, who fell for the 14th time in 20 games.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rookie Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to nine games with a two-out infield single in the sixth inning. ... Izturis, who went 3-for-3 against Buchholz, improved to 9-for-19 in his career against the hurler. ... Los Angeles owner Arte Moreno attended the game at Fenway Park. ... Buchholz failed to make it through six innings for the first time since May 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time