Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Angels' Weaver stymies Sox
BOSTON — Jered Weaver tossed seven solid innings to record his 16th victory and Howie Kendrick belted a solo homer as visiting Los Angeles defeated Boston for the second straight night.
Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta collected three hits and an RBI single apiece. Torii Hunter ripped a two-run single and Mark Trumbo added an RBI single for the Angels, who saw slugger Albert Pujols exit the contest with tightness in his right calf.
Pujols legged out a double in the fourth inning before pulling up lame while running to third base on a groundout by Kendrys Morales. Pujols lumbered home on Trumbo’s base hit, but was promptly taken out of the game.
Weaver (16-3) snapped a two-game skid and joined Tampa Bay’s David Price, Cincinnati’s Johnny Cueto and Washington’s Gio Gonzalez with the major-league lead in victories. Weaver ended a three-game losing skid to Boston by allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five.
Making his 100th career appearance, Clay Buchholz (11-4) fell for just the second time in his last nine decisions. He permitted seven runs and matched a career high with 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Aviles and Cody Ross had RBI doubles for the reeling Red Sox, who fell for the 14th time in 20 games.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rookie Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to nine games with a two-out infield single in the sixth inning. ... Izturis, who went 3-for-3 against Buchholz, improved to 9-for-19 in his career against the hurler. ... Los Angeles owner Arte Moreno attended the game at Fenway Park. ... Buchholz failed to make it through six innings for the first time since May 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Car may have started itself, crashes at Manchester Home Depot - 4
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs