Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Angels' Weaver stymies Sox
BOSTON — Jered Weaver tossed seven solid innings to record his 16th victory and Howie Kendrick belted a solo homer as visiting Los Angeles defeated Boston for the second straight night.
Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta collected three hits and an RBI single apiece. Torii Hunter ripped a two-run single and Mark Trumbo added an RBI single for the Angels, who saw slugger Albert Pujols exit the contest with tightness in his right calf.
Pujols legged out a double in the fourth inning before pulling up lame while running to third base on a groundout by Kendrys Morales. Pujols lumbered home on Trumbo’s base hit, but was promptly taken out of the game.
Weaver (16-3) snapped a two-game skid and joined Tampa Bay’s David Price, Cincinnati’s Johnny Cueto and Washington’s Gio Gonzalez with the major-league lead in victories. Weaver ended a three-game losing skid to Boston by allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five.
Making his 100th career appearance, Clay Buchholz (11-4) fell for just the second time in his last nine decisions. He permitted seven runs and matched a career high with 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Aviles and Cody Ross had RBI doubles for the reeling Red Sox, who fell for the 14th time in 20 games.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rookie Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to nine games with a two-out infield single in the sixth inning. ... Izturis, who went 3-for-3 against Buchholz, improved to 9-for-19 in his career against the hurler. ... Los Angeles owner Arte Moreno attended the game at Fenway Park. ... Buchholz failed to make it through six innings for the first time since May 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 8
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack