June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Driver who was ‘distracted’ indicted
BRENTWOOD — A Plaistow driver has been indicted for vehicular assault, months after telling police he was too distracted downloading an application for his smart phone to notice that he struck a person with his van.
John Sheehan, 30, is facing the vehicular assault charge along with a felony count of conduct after an accident for allegedly striking a man on May 20 about 9 p.m. and leaving the scene.
Police say Sheehan hit the man while driving east on Forrest Street on the night of May 20 around 9 p.m. then drove away.
Sheehan was charged with conduct after an accident for the alleged hit-and-run crash.
A grand jury added the misdemeanor charge of vehicular assault after convening earlier this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Prosecutors say Sheehan knew or should have known that he had just been involved in an accident that resulted in injuring the victim, Jonathan Stearns, who had been walking along the roadside.
Sheehan is accused of failing to stop at the scene of the crash and report his actions to police, the indictments say.
Police say they identified the van hours after the crash.
It was parked in front of Sheehan’s home and had damage to its front end, according to police. Witnesses told police they heard a thump at the time of the crash. When questioned by police, Sheehan allegedly asked “what did I hit?”
Sheehan told officers he thought he hit a tree and went home, but that he was too distracted by his phone to notice what he struck, according to police.
Stearns, the victim, was conscious and alert when emergency workers arrived on the scene. He was first taken to Lawrence General Hospital then flown to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where he was treated for his injuries. The conduct after an accident charge is punishable by up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison. Sheehan is scheduled for arraignment on Aug. 30 in superior court.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious - 22
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
- Auburn woman struck in head with bottle of cologne - 1
- Manchester cabbie assaulted, robbed - 0
- Somersworth man said toddler fussed so he tied him in a blanket - 28
- Hooksett mother arrested for making repeated 911 calls, police say - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424