Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Conway product Locke called up to bigs
The Pirates recalled left-hander Jeff Locke from Class AAA Indianapolis before Wednesday’s game and optioned outfielder Alex Presley to Indianapolis.
Locke will likely provide a long relief option out of the bullpen while Kevin Correia, who is making a spot start in tonight’s game, is unavailable. Correia should be available in relief by Saturday’s game.
Locke, 24, made 21 starts for Indianapolis this season and struck out 113 batters in 125 innings with a 2.66 ERA. He joined the Pirates, along with Gorkys Hernandez and Charlie Morton, from the Atlanta Braves organization in a trade for Nate McLouth in 2009.
Locke made four starts for the Pirates last season.
Locke is from Conway, N.H. He starred at Kennett High School and was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Braves in 2006.
Presley, 26, hit .234 with a .275 on-base percentage this season. He spent 20 games in the minors earlier this season. The promotion of Starling Marte and the acquisition of former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Travis Snider from Toronto relegated him to a bench role.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
- New Hampshire Religion News in Brief - 0
- Police investigate cause of injuries to Seabrook family - 0
- Queen City community to celebrate U.N. World Refugee Day today - 0
- Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation’s 93rd season has something for everyone - 0
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
George Will: A case for upward mobility
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off