Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox topple Texas, 9-2, back to .500
BOSTON — Aaron Cook bounced back from a string of poor starts with seven strong innings and Carl Crawford continued his hot streak with three RBIs as host Boston took the opener of a three-game series from Texas.
Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury each chipped in three hits and an RBI and Adrian Gonzalez drove in three runs for the Red Sox, who have won back-to-back games to once again pull back to .500 at 55-55.
Cook (3-5) allowed one run on six hits while walking three and matching a season high with two strikeouts.
The right-hander, who had been knocked around for 12 runs in 8 2/3 innings over his last two turns, had his sinkerball working and induced 15 groundouts against one flyout.
Rangers starter Yu Darvish (11-8) was not as sharp in his Fenway Park debut, getting knocked around for six runs and 11 hits while walking four and striking out nine in 6 2/3 innings.
Texas took the lead with a run in the second but Boston bounced back in the third. Ellsbury led off with a double and Crawford followed with a two-base hit before scoring in a batter later on Gonzalez’s double.
Ellsbury, Crawford and Pedroia each added an RBI in a three-run rally in the fourth that opened the gap.
Gonzalez singled in another in the seventh and joined Crawford and Cody Ross with RBIs in a three-run eighth. Crawford is 9-for-18 with eight RBIs and six runs scored in the last four games.
David Murphy singled in a run and Adrian Beltre hit a solo homer for Texas, which has dropped back-to-back contests.
NOTEBOOK: Red Sox DH David Ortiz (Achilles) will have an injection in his right heel but there is still no timetable for his return. ... Michael Young made his first start of the season at SS for the Rangers in place of Elvis Andrus (shoulder), who was banged up on a play at the plate Sunday. Andrus expects to return on Tuesday. ... Texas RHP Roy Oswalt will remain in the bullpen despite his desire to be a starting pitcher.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Suit: Claremont's North Country Smokehouse claims $606,011 spent on diamond, SUV, more - 9
- Winnipesaukee watershed association looking to raise its profile - 0
- New Ipswich cemetery’s future is anybody guess after state objects to graves - 1
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced