What happens when you take a mouse to story time in Windham?
WINDHAM -- KIDDIE ACADEMY students know first-hand what happens when you bring a mouse to school.
Cookie Mouse, the star in a series of books by Laura Numeroff, visited the day care center as part of Storytime LIVE! at Kiddie Academy. The annual event is open to everyone and features a guest appearance from the chosen story's lead character. It grows bigger every year, said Karin Zalzal, director of Kiddie Academy of Windham.
“Adding a live visit from a character in the story really helps to make Storytime LIVE! a memorable experience for the children,” Zalzal said. “Engaging children in a group in an exciting and enjoyable educational experience lays the groundwork for a successful transition into a school setting and a lifetime love of reading and learning.”
Children prepared for their guest by decorating cookies and painting their faces to make them look like mice. While waiting, they also had the opportunity to assembly their own paper mouse and decorate backpacks.
All attention was on the door when Cookie Mouse arrived. Some children ran up for hugs, others approached with trepidation, but everyone was smiling as they sat down for story time. Stephanie CM-Berg read two stories, “If You Take a Mouse to School,” and “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.”
Reading together is an important part of the educational experience, Zalzal said.
“Reading together helps prepare children for school and for life by exposing them to new ideas, new situations and new emotions in a nurturing classroom setting,” Zalzal said.
The children just know that it's fun. Cookie Mouse stayed after the story for hugs and pictures before the children escorted him out the door.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Strawbery Banke Museum pays tribute to military past and present - 0
- Newmont Military Band conjures sights, sounds of earlier century - 0
- Currier poster exhibit marks pop culture evolution - 0
- Go boldly where 'Star Trek,' 'Star Wars' have gone - 0
- Meadowbrook goes for laughs in August - 0
- Memorial Day events in New Hampshire - 0
- New Hampshire Club News - 0
- No ‘official’ Winni Derby big carch winner announced yet - 0
- Dunbarton neighbors cry foul over proposed chicken barn - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
New Hampshire Club News
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands