Keene prevails again in Babe Ruth tourney
New Hampshire champion Keene staved off a three-run late-game rally and defeated Pittsfield, Mass., 4-3, in winners' bracket action at the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament at Adams Field in Quincy, Mass., Saturday afternoon.
The John Watterson All-Stars are 2-0 in regional play and take on Waterford, Conn., also 2-0, Monday, at 5 p.m.
Mason Blanchard took the ball to the hill for Keene and worked five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five. He was relieved by Spenser Heise in the sixth.
After another scoreless frame, Pittsfield ignited for three runs during its final at-bat. Hits by Austin O'Neill, Joey Dewey (double), Anthony Jones and Chris Shade sparked the burst.
Keene led 4-0 after scoring single runs in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings. However, the Wattersons, who are now 7-1 in post-season play, managed only five hits in the game as Patrick Wisell, Stephen Bianco, Ben Mallet, Isaiah Singer and Dallas Landry were able to solve the offerings of Pittsfield's pitching duo of Devon Johnston and Bobby New. Johnston tossed three innings of hitless ball.
Keene took advantage of four Pittsfield errors.
Mallet is pacing the Keene offense with five hits in the regional while Landry has four.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
- High school action - 0
- College Notebook: Eventful week for Northeastern's Lyons brothers from Bedford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
- 160 students graduate from White Mountains Community College - 0
- Portsmouth driver distracted by Facebook hits utility pole - 0
- Robber escapes with drugs from Keene CVS - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
Nashua school parking surprise
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840