Keene prevails again in Babe Ruth tourney
New Hampshire champion Keene staved off a three-run late-game rally and defeated Pittsfield, Mass., 4-3, in winners' bracket action at the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament at Adams Field in Quincy, Mass., Saturday afternoon.
The John Watterson All-Stars are 2-0 in regional play and take on Waterford, Conn., also 2-0, Monday, at 5 p.m.
Mason Blanchard took the ball to the hill for Keene and worked five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five. He was relieved by Spenser Heise in the sixth.
After another scoreless frame, Pittsfield ignited for three runs during its final at-bat. Hits by Austin O'Neill, Joey Dewey (double), Anthony Jones and Chris Shade sparked the burst.
Keene led 4-0 after scoring single runs in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings. However, the Wattersons, who are now 7-1 in post-season play, managed only five hits in the game as Patrick Wisell, Stephen Bianco, Ben Mallet, Isaiah Singer and Dallas Landry were able to solve the offerings of Pittsfield's pitching duo of Devon Johnston and Bobby New. Johnston tossed three innings of hitless ball.
Keene took advantage of four Pittsfield errors.
Mallet is pacing the Keene offense with five hits in the regional while Landry has four.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840