Keene prevails again in Babe Ruth tourney
New Hampshire champion Keene staved off a three-run late-game rally and defeated Pittsfield, Mass., 4-3, in winners' bracket action at the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament at Adams Field in Quincy, Mass., Saturday afternoon.
The John Watterson All-Stars are 2-0 in regional play and take on Waterford, Conn., also 2-0, Monday, at 5 p.m.
Mason Blanchard took the ball to the hill for Keene and worked five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five. He was relieved by Spenser Heise in the sixth.
After another scoreless frame, Pittsfield ignited for three runs during its final at-bat. Hits by Austin O'Neill, Joey Dewey (double), Anthony Jones and Chris Shade sparked the burst.
Keene led 4-0 after scoring single runs in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings. However, the Wattersons, who are now 7-1 in post-season play, managed only five hits in the game as Patrick Wisell, Stephen Bianco, Ben Mallet, Isaiah Singer and Dallas Landry were able to solve the offerings of Pittsfield's pitching duo of Devon Johnston and Bobby New. Johnston tossed three innings of hitless ball.
Keene took advantage of four Pittsfield errors.
Mallet is pacing the Keene offense with five hits in the regional while Landry has four.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
- Walden sparkles as Fishers blank Sea Dogs - 0
- For Fisher Cats, here come the Sea Dogs - 0
- Fisher Cats win, then head home for Sea Dogs series - 0
- Fisher Cats lose again, despite Nolan's offense - 0
- Play at the plate ends Fishers' rally in Trenton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Sen. Rand Paul in NH: Too early for judgments in IRS probe - 0
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840