Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Diaz grand slam lifts Akron over Fishers, 7-4
MANCHESTER — Lanky shortstop Juan Diaz smashed a grand slam off the video board, and Akron posted a 7-4 win over the Fisher Cats in Friday night's series opener.
Akron scored five runs off Deck McGuire in the first inning, but the Indians affiliate didn't exactly cruise to an easy win. New Hampshire loaded the bases and scored in the ninth, sending the tying run to the plate against Aeros reliever Shawn Armstrong. Brad Glenn scored on Brian Bocock's grounder, but the Fisher Cats, a night after playing 17 innings against Erie, ran out of late-inning magic.
Brian Bocock and Koby Clemens each drove in two runs for the Fisher Cats (43-69), who lost their third straight. McGuire (5-12) worked into the sixth, finishing with a line of seven hits, six earned runs, two walks and five strikeouts.
Akron reliever Kyle Landis (6-4) allowed one hit in relief to earn the win. Teammate Loek Van Mil, a 7-foot-1 righty, relieved starter Toru Murata in the fifth. In the sixth, New Hampshire manager Sal Fasano summoned 6-foot-7 righty Trystan Magnusson from the bullpen. For an inning, two of the tallest pitchers in pro baseball pitched before 5,712 fans on Scout Night.
Western Division leader Akron improved to 67-45. Diaz went 2-for-4, and teammate Thomas Neal had three hits for the winners. Brian Van Kirk, Ryan Goins and Clemens all had doubles for the Fisher Cats.
The series continues tonight with New Hampshire righty Chad Jenkins (5-9, 4.96 ERA) taking the mound at 7:05. Righty Danny Salazar, called up from Class A, makes his first start for the Aeros.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, Tepera fall to SeaWolves - 0
- Fisher Cats cancelled - 0
- Rober Brown's On Baseball: Fisher Cats' Jimenez back on track - 0
- Fisher Cats score 5 in the 9th to beat Aeros - 0
- After rain, Aeros pour it on against Fisher Cats - 0
- Roger Brown's On Baseball: Fisher Cats' Ryan Schimpf turning on the power - 0
- Familiar foes on tap for Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats gain sweep in Erie - 0
- Fisher Cats lose despite Nolan's HR - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 1
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 57
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time