Home » Opinion » Editorials
No free pill: Milton and the mandate
On Wednesday the Obamacare rule requiring employers to offer contraceptive coverage in their health insurance plans — at no cost to the employee - kicked in. The Obama administration and Democrats nationwide touted this as the provision of “free” health care for women.
They did this one day after the 100th anniversary of economist Milton Friedman's birth. How rich.
Friedman was famous for many achievements in economics, including a Nobel prize. Perhaps his best-known quote was this: “There is no free lunch.”
The free lunch myth, Friedman said, was that “somehow or another government can spend money at nobody's expense.” With the contraception coverage mandate, Democrats promote exactly that myth.
Of course, it is a fallacy.
Under the mandate, employers may charge higher premiums to provide the “free” contraception. You are actually paying for the coverage Obama says you are getting for “free.” If you are employed. And if your employer does not drop your coverage to comply with all of the costs of Obamacare, as many employers are doing.
Some freebie. If only Milton Friedman were around to say, “I told you so.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions