Home » Opinion » Editorials
Wealth and culture: Romney’s obviously true comment
Speaking in Israel about the differences between the Israeli economy and the economy of the Palestinian territories, Mitt Romney noted the huge per-capita income gap in Israel’s favor and then said, “Culture makes all the difference.” The media have branded the remark “controversial.” It is nothing of the sort.
Economist and columnist Thomas Sowell, who has done a great deal of work demonstrating the importance of culture in shaping economic outcomes, writes about this all the time. He has spent decades showing how cultural norms play a huge role in determining economic outcomes.
Explaining his comments in a later interview, Romney cited the work of David Landes, Harvard emeritus professor of history and economics, whose brilliant 1999 book “The Wealth and Poverty of Nations” demonstrated with great clarity how culture, not race or geography, accounted for so much of the huge variations in economic development among nations.
No one can deny that Israel and the Palestinian territories have enormous cultural gaps. Nor is it deniable that culture plays a huge role in determining economic outcomes. Noted economists have made that point for decades. The only thing controversial about Romney’s point is how few reporters have ever encountered it before.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19