New school seal and mascot look unveiled at Souhegan High in Amherst
AMHERST — A new design for the Souhegan High School seal and mascot have been unveiled.
While the saber mascot will remain, its design has been altered and modernized, along with the traditional high school crest logo.
“I think the new Souhegan High crest and saber design are terrific,” said Christine Janson, chairman of the Souhegan Cooperative School Board. “They will allow us to have consistent, updated graphics in lots of media, including print and web, and be easy to reproduce for athletic uniforms.”
There are actually two new saber graphics, one with the animal displaying a wide open mouth, and the other portraying the mascot’s eyes with the word “SABERS” underneath. The new crest logo includes the phrase, “Respect, Trust, Courage,” and the year the school opened, 1992.
Students, faculty and support staff voted for their favorite seal and mascot design. Janson said she is pleased that school board members, students and staff were able to weigh in on the design through a school-wide vote.
“These designs were the overwhelming choice of the school community,” she said.
Although new graphics were chosen, Janson explained that the original saber design, created by Tilea Warren Toy, will continue to grace the gymnasium floor and be featured on the athletic tribute wall.
“Similar to the way professional sports teams honor their historical logos, SHS intends to honor the original saber,” says a release.
Janson stressed that Souhegan remains strong in its commitment to its membership in the Coalition of Essential Schools, upon which the original logo was based. All Souhegan documents will continue to note the school’s membership, she explained.
The new logos will be displayed on the web, print publications, athletic and activity uniforms, according to the statement.
Bedford » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett school board members grapple with district’s future - 0
- Dodgeball returns to Windham schools - 0
- How Rosaly’s garden grew into organic Peterborough farm - 0
- Bedford maintains highest credit rating from Moody’s - 0
- Damn Yankees at Leddy Center July 12-28 - 0
- Dan Brown and Joe Stevens Join Prescott Park Arts Festival's Summer Movie Series - 0
- Loeb School Offers Cartooning for Kids Workshop - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Samples from the world of Pinot Noir - 0
- Moose Hunt Lottery Drawing Is Friday, June 21, 2013 - 0
Dodgeball returns to Windham schools
Raymond man's hope for working van realized
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time