Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: 5-month-old suffers severe burns after fall into washing machine
MANCHESTER - A five-month-old baby suffered burns over 90 percent of his body when he tumbled into a washing machine being filled with hot water after his father became distracted while changing him, police said.
Shea Giampetruzzi, the son of Joseph Giampetruzzi and Leanna Lemay, was rushed to Catholic Medical Center Tuesday night and later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the baby was expected to be transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children - Boston - for further treatment.
She said the baby was injured in what "appears to be an accident," according to a preliminary investigation.
The father was changing the baby's diaper about 8:20 p.m. in an area set up next to the washer in a bathroom of the family's 449 Kelley St., first floor apartment. He became distracted and the baby fell into the washer, she said.
The washer was filling with what District Fire Chief Al Poulin said was "very hot" water when the baby fell into it and suffered extensive burns.
Giampetruzzi quickly pulled his son out of the machine and 911 was immediately called.
"Any type of burns over that much of the body is life-threatening at any age," said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
Amanda Stevens, who lives in the second floor apartment directly above, said she heard the mother yelling Tuesday night and then saw a fire truck, ambulance and three police cruisers pull up in front of the three-story, three-unit building that has a cottage in back.
Stevens has lived in the building for about five years. She said Giampetruzzi and Lemay moved into the first floor apartment about five months ago. Lemay, she said, has two other daughters who are about 8 and 1 1/2 years old, but she did not know if Giampetruzzi is their father.
Investigators with the police department's juvenile division continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?