Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: 5-month-old suffers severe burns after fall into washing machine
MANCHESTER - A five-month-old baby suffered burns over 90 percent of his body when he tumbled into a washing machine being filled with hot water after his father became distracted while changing him, police said.
Shea Giampetruzzi, the son of Joseph Giampetruzzi and Leanna Lemay, was rushed to Catholic Medical Center Tuesday night and later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the baby was expected to be transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children - Boston - for further treatment.
She said the baby was injured in what "appears to be an accident," according to a preliminary investigation.
The father was changing the baby's diaper about 8:20 p.m. in an area set up next to the washer in a bathroom of the family's 449 Kelley St., first floor apartment. He became distracted and the baby fell into the washer, she said.
The washer was filling with what District Fire Chief Al Poulin said was "very hot" water when the baby fell into it and suffered extensive burns.
Giampetruzzi quickly pulled his son out of the machine and 911 was immediately called.
"Any type of burns over that much of the body is life-threatening at any age," said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
Amanda Stevens, who lives in the second floor apartment directly above, said she heard the mother yelling Tuesday night and then saw a fire truck, ambulance and three police cruisers pull up in front of the three-story, three-unit building that has a cottage in back.
Stevens has lived in the building for about five years. She said Giampetruzzi and Lemay moved into the first floor apartment about five months ago. Lemay, she said, has two other daughters who are about 8 and 1 1/2 years old, but she did not know if Giampetruzzi is their father.
Investigators with the police department's juvenile division continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 6
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 1
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Manchester mayor to oversee economic development office - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 21 - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Franklin Pierce to play Shippensburg in Div. II baseball World Series - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- No curbside collections in Manchester on Monday - 0
Manchester police seek Food Mart robber
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs