Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: 5-month-old suffers severe burns after fall into washing machine
MANCHESTER - A five-month-old baby suffered burns over 90 percent of his body when he tumbled into a washing machine being filled with hot water after his father became distracted while changing him, police said.
Shea Giampetruzzi, the son of Joseph Giampetruzzi and Leanna Lemay, was rushed to Catholic Medical Center Tuesday night and later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the baby was expected to be transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children - Boston - for further treatment.
She said the baby was injured in what "appears to be an accident," according to a preliminary investigation.
The father was changing the baby's diaper about 8:20 p.m. in an area set up next to the washer in a bathroom of the family's 449 Kelley St., first floor apartment. He became distracted and the baby fell into the washer, she said.
The washer was filling with what District Fire Chief Al Poulin said was "very hot" water when the baby fell into it and suffered extensive burns.
Giampetruzzi quickly pulled his son out of the machine and 911 was immediately called.
"Any type of burns over that much of the body is life-threatening at any age," said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
Amanda Stevens, who lives in the second floor apartment directly above, said she heard the mother yelling Tuesday night and then saw a fire truck, ambulance and three police cruisers pull up in front of the three-story, three-unit building that has a cottage in back.
Stevens has lived in the building for about five years. She said Giampetruzzi and Lemay moved into the first floor apartment about five months ago. Lemay, she said, has two other daughters who are about 8 and 1 1/2 years old, but she did not know if Giampetruzzi is their father.
Investigators with the police department's juvenile division continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury - 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 3
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents