Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Cardinals' Carpenter will have season-ending shoulder surgery
St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter will undergo shoulder surgery and will be out the rest of the season, multiple media outlets reported Tuesday.
Carpenter, who has finished among the top three in the Cy Young Award voting three times and won the award in 2005, has had nerve-related shoulder problems that flared up following his most recent bullpen session.
The operation to alleviate Carpenter's thoracic outlet syndrome was deemed necessary, whether he tried to pitch again this season or not.
Carpenter, who has not pitched for the Cardinals this season, decided to have the procedure performed now to increase his chances of pitching by next February.
A date for the surgery has not been announced.
Carpenter threw a bullpen session on Friday, and he was been scheduled to throw another bullpen session on Monday before the latter was canceled.
Carpenter, 37, is in the first year of a two-year, $21 million contract extension.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 27
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 0
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 0
- Nashua aviation company looks for danger on ground - 0
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial replica wall on display - 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Search continues for gadabout steer in Epping - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Pease chosen to receive refueling tanker