Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fishers fall at Reading
Reading used two home runs to tie the game in the fourth inning and Cody Asche drove in the winning run in the fifth as the Phillies downed the Fisher Cats, 4-3, in Reading, Pa., on Saturday.
Reading trailed 3-0 heading into the bottom of the fourth inning. Darin Ruf hit a solo shot to make it 3-1, and later in the inning Sebastian Valle hit a two-run shot to tie things up.
The Phillies took the lead for good in the bottom of the fifth inning when Miguel Abreu scored on a ground out by Asche.
New Hampshire starter Fernando Hernandez suffered the loss and gave up all four runs over his 5 2/3 innings of work on the mound. He gave up 11 hits, struck two out and walked two.
Matt Wright and Ronald Uviedo did their best to keep things close after that. They combined to pitch 2 1/3 innings of no-hit ball. Wright went the first 2/3 and Uviedo went the next 1 2/3, striking out two.
Mark Sobolewski gave New Hampshire an early lead when he hit his 14th home run of the season to make it 1-0 in the top of the second inning.
The visitors extended the lead to 3-0 with two more runs in the top of the fourth inning. Kenen Bailli drove in one with an RBI single and later scored on a throwing error after he had stolen third base.
Trevor May got the win for the Phillies. He gave up three runs over five innings, struck out two and walked six.
The two teams play again tonight in Reading at 6:35 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats are tripped up by Portland in 10 innings - 0
- Fisher Cats’ win streak snapped by Portland - 0
- Schimpf homers twice, Fisher Cats win in Portland - 0
- Fisher Cats power Stroman to first win at New Britain - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Win tickets to see American Idol Live!
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions