June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Rye standoff that began after Onstar call ends peacefully in arrest
RYE - A lengthy standoff at a home Friday night ended peacefully, Rye police said Saturday.
Police said Larry McCauley, 58, of 277 Pioneer Road, and a woman had called the vehicle assistance service Onstar to threaten suicide about 6:15 p.m. Friday. Police found them at McCauley’s home.
The woman, whose name police did not release, was “taken into protective custody due to alcohol consumption,” police said in a press release.
McCauley went into his home and refused numerous police requests to come out, police said. The woman told police there was a firearm in the house, according to police.
Nearby residents were ordered to leave their homes and the Seacoast Emergency Response Team responded.
“During the lengthy standoff, the SERT team was unable to make contact” with McCauley, the release said.
Police said the team was able to enter the home early Saturday and arrested McCauley without incident.
In another incident early Saturday, a man tried to kill himself with a handgun at Rye Harbor State Park, police said.
Police said that shortly after 1 a.m., a man called 911 and said he planned to kill himself. When police arrived, he was “resistant to efforts by negotiators and later suffered from a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” police said in a release.
Police refused to release the man’s name, but said he was taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for treatment.
Police did not say if the two incidents were related.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 4
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- Mass. police officer indicted in Salem sex assault - 1
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
- Auburn woman struck in head with bottle of cologne - 1
READER COMMENTS: 5
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424