Home » News » Public Safety
Air conditioner causes fire; two dogs rescued
PLAISTOW — Two dogs were rescued from a smoke-filled house Wednesday after a fire broke out inside a combined heating and air-conditioning unit.
Firefighters responded to the home at 47 Pollard Road around 10:15 a.m. after a neighbor discovered the fire.
Fire Chief John McArdle said the neighbor gained access to the house, which was filled with smoke. One of the dogs was able to get out and a second was rescued by McArdle after the smoke began to clear.
McArdle said the fire began in a heating and air-conditioning unit in the basement and was contained inside duct work. The fire caused no significant damage, he said.
The unit was operating to keep the house cool, but McArdle said he’s not sure what caused it to malfunction and spark the fire.
With the arrival of summer heat Wednesday, McArdle urged homeowners to make sure their air conditioners are properly maintained to avoid problems.
“These things have filters on them, and they do require periodic maintenance,” he said. “If you haven’t had it maintained in a couple of years you should have them checked.”
Mutual aid was called in from several towns. No firefighters suffered heat exhaustion despite Wednesday’s high temperatures, McArdle said.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 124
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 12
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 11
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?