Home » News » Public Safety
Fire in abondoned Bedford farmhouse called suspicious
BEDFORD - An early morning fire, described as suspicious by fire officials, destroyed a vacant Pulpit Road farmhouse.
Deputy fire chief Mark Klose said a neighbor at 105 Pulpit Road called in the blaze at 3:38 a.m. Monday.
The building, a 2 1/2-story, wood-frame farmhouse that was vacant for several years was completely in flames when fire crews arrived.
“We were only there 10 to 15 minutes when the building collapsed on top of itself and into the cellar,” Klose said.
The building was unoccupied. No firefighters were injured.
Five surrounding communities — Amherst, Goffstown, New Boston, Manchester and Weare — provided mutual aid.
The fire is considered suspicious, Klose explained, because it was completely open and unsecured, unheated, and had no power source.
The farmhouse is owned by the Anagnost Companies of Manchester, he said.
A new housing development is being constructed on that side of the road, according to Klose.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation by both fire and police officials.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty