Home » News » Public Safety
Grafton woman attacked by bear
Bear trap removed in Grafton
A Grafton woman is recovering after she was attacked Saturday night by a bear.
Grafton Fire Chief John Babiarz said 46-year-old Tracey Colburn's dog saved her from more serious injury.
“The dog jumped over her and attacked the bear,” Babiarz said.
The incident happened around 10 p.m. Saturday as Colburn cooked a pot roast, Babiarz said. She had kept her kitchen window open as she cooked, and the smell of the roast attracted a mother bear and her two cubs, he said.
Colburn was unaware the bear was on her porch when she opened the back door to let the dog out. In an instant, she saw the bear and fell back as the bear attacked, swiping her arms and leaving deep cuts, Babiarz said.
The dog then leapt from behind Colburn and chased the bear and two cubs off the property.
Babiarz said New Hampshire Fish and Game officers are now dealing with the bear.
“This is a bear that is no longer afraid of humans,” Babiarz said.
A trap has been set for the bear in woods near Colburn's home, Babiarz said. Once caught, the mother bear is to be euthanized and her cubs will be taken to a bear rescue specialist in Lyme.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 1
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 11
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 30
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
License revocations for DWI announced