Hall of Fame ceremony tonight
GORHAM — Three-time Mount Washington champion Matt Carpenter and former women’s record-holder Jacqueline Garneau headline the 2012 inductees into the Mount Washington Road Race Hall of Fame in ceremonies Friday night beginning at 6 at the base of the mountain.
Carpenter, of Manitou Springs, Colo., was the fastest man to the top of New England in 1992, 1993 and 1998, and in 1999, he became the second person to run to the summit in under one hour more than once.
Quebec’s Garneau, the only woman to win the Boston Marathon and the Mount Washington Road Race, set a women’s course record in 1989, and captured laurel wreaths in 1994 and 1996.
Joining the two in the hall are Christine Maisto, a classics scholar who teaches at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Ill., and Keith Woodward, of Stowe, Vt.
Maisto set a women’s course record in 1985 and became the first woman ever to finish among the top 50 runners (31st). She boasts three Mount Washington titles.
Woodward won here just once, in 1983, but no one has run this race more often or with more consistency. His 36 race finishes are unrivaled, and he finished under 1:10 on 16 occasions. He sports 15 top-10 finishes.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Winnipesaukee watershed association looking to raise its profile - 0
- New Ipswich cemetery’s future is anybody guess after state objects to graves - 1
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 9
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840