Home » News » Public Safety
Missing 93-year-old found dead in pond
FRANKLIN — The body of a 93-year-old woman was found in a pond Thursday morning, police said.
Police identified the body as that of Eugenia Garneau, formerly of Garneau Road.
The victim’s body was found at 8:28 a.m. Thursday in Chance Pond, not far from her home, said Police Chief David Goldstein.
She had been reported missing by her family Wednesday night, he said.
“Her family had stopped by as they usually do (Wednesday) evening and she wasn’t there,” he said. She apparently died of drowning, and no foul play is suspected, Goldstein said.
“It appears to just be an untimely death of a missing person,” he said.
The Marine Patrol and the state medical examiner were called to the pond, which is next to Garneau Road and very close to the victim’s house, he said.
Neighbors said Garneau lived alone in the house.
Goldstein said police are investigating whether the victim had some form of age-related mental impairment.
“It looks like she probably fell in, and she may have been infirmed,” Goldstein said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury - 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 3
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents