Home » News » Public Safety
Missing 93-year-old found dead in pond
FRANKLIN — The body of a 93-year-old woman was found in a pond Thursday morning, police said.
Police identified the body as that of Eugenia Garneau, formerly of Garneau Road.
The victim’s body was found at 8:28 a.m. Thursday in Chance Pond, not far from her home, said Police Chief David Goldstein.
She had been reported missing by her family Wednesday night, he said.
“Her family had stopped by as they usually do (Wednesday) evening and she wasn’t there,” he said. She apparently died of drowning, and no foul play is suspected, Goldstein said.
“It appears to just be an untimely death of a missing person,” he said.
The Marine Patrol and the state medical examiner were called to the pond, which is next to Garneau Road and very close to the victim’s house, he said.
Neighbors said Garneau lived alone in the house.
Goldstein said police are investigating whether the victim had some form of age-related mental impairment.
“It looks like she probably fell in, and she may have been infirmed,” Goldstein said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 1
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Moving Wall in Haverhill asks us to remember
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary