Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue hiker found after overnight stay in Whites
Rescue crews on Monday found a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate student in good condition after the student spent a night missing in the White Mountain National Forest.
Vinoth Naudakumar, 22, of New South Wales, Australia, is an inexperienced hiker who went hiking with his friend, Yuval Kochman, of Boston on Sunday, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said.
Kochman left Naudakumar because Kochman thought his friend was hiking too slow, Fish and Game said. When Kochman returned to his car at the end of the day, Naudakumar wasn’t there. Kochman returned to Boston where he reported Naudakumar overdue from the hike late Sunday night, Fish and Game said.
Fish and Game organized search parties at the Appalachian Mountain Club Pinkham Notch Visitors Center early Monday morning. Search teams checked trails where Naudakumar was last seen. One team followed footprints leading to drainage from the Avalanche Ski Trail and found Naudakumar. He was cut and bruised but in good condition, Fish and Game said. Naudakumar had food and water, but no compass, map, head lamp or proper clothing for an unexpected overnight stay, Fish and Game said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty