Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue hiker found after overnight stay in Whites
Rescue crews on Monday found a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate student in good condition after the student spent a night missing in the White Mountain National Forest.
Vinoth Naudakumar, 22, of New South Wales, Australia, is an inexperienced hiker who went hiking with his friend, Yuval Kochman, of Boston on Sunday, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said.
Kochman left Naudakumar because Kochman thought his friend was hiking too slow, Fish and Game said. When Kochman returned to his car at the end of the day, Naudakumar wasn’t there. Kochman returned to Boston where he reported Naudakumar overdue from the hike late Sunday night, Fish and Game said.
Fish and Game organized search parties at the Appalachian Mountain Club Pinkham Notch Visitors Center early Monday morning. Search teams checked trails where Naudakumar was last seen. One team followed footprints leading to drainage from the Avalanche Ski Trail and found Naudakumar. He was cut and bruised but in good condition, Fish and Game said. Naudakumar had food and water, but no compass, map, head lamp or proper clothing for an unexpected overnight stay, Fish and Game said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 150
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off