Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue hiker found after overnight stay in Whites
Rescue crews on Monday found a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate student in good condition after the student spent a night missing in the White Mountain National Forest.
Vinoth Naudakumar, 22, of New South Wales, Australia, is an inexperienced hiker who went hiking with his friend, Yuval Kochman, of Boston on Sunday, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said.
Kochman left Naudakumar because Kochman thought his friend was hiking too slow, Fish and Game said. When Kochman returned to his car at the end of the day, Naudakumar wasn’t there. Kochman returned to Boston where he reported Naudakumar overdue from the hike late Sunday night, Fish and Game said.
Fish and Game organized search parties at the Appalachian Mountain Club Pinkham Notch Visitors Center early Monday morning. Search teams checked trails where Naudakumar was last seen. One team followed footprints leading to drainage from the Avalanche Ski Trail and found Naudakumar. He was cut and bruised but in good condition, Fish and Game said. Naudakumar had food and water, but no compass, map, head lamp or proper clothing for an unexpected overnight stay, Fish and Game said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 7
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 1
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack