Rochester's Sandhal captures Market Square Day women's race
Robert Gomez of Saco, Maine won the 35th annual Market Square Day 10k road race in Portsmouth on Saturday, finishing in 31:55.
Rochester’s Denise Sandhal was the top female finisher, clocking in at 38:01. Sandhal finished 14th overall.
The historic race begins in Market Square and winds through the streets and along the coast before finishing at Strawberry Banke Museum. More than 1,750 runners took part in Saturday’s race.
The remainder of the men’s top 10 finishers were Jim Johnson (Madison, 32:33), Andrew Hoogenstyn (Portland, Maine, 32:48), Patrick Moulton (Providence, R.I., 33:01), Chris Ritchie (Hampton, 34:50), Peter McNeil (Barrington, 35:21) Colby Nixon (Eliot, Maine, 35:29) Nathan Huppe (Dover, 35:43), Cameron Barth (Lee, 36:19) and Matthew Weber (York Beach, Maine, 36:19).
The rest of the top 10 runners in the women’s field were Nicole Toye (Durham, 39:29), Megan Parker (Portsmouth, 39:57), Emily Franoc (Hampton, 41:07), Bridgette Desmond (Portsmouth, 42:12), Anne Marie Prewitt (Eliot, Maine, 42:43), Christine O’Leary (Somersworth, 43:07), Caroline Merrill (Portsmouth, 43:33), Ashley Busa (Portsmouth, 43:45) and Ashley Witt (Boston, Mass., 43:50).
Stephan Mayeux (Portsmouth, 1:02:27) and Katelyn Thigpen (Greenland, 1:10:17) won the men’s and women’s racewalk divisions, respectively.
Keith Winchell of The Villages, Fla. won the wheelchair division in 42:46.
Jane Levesque of Nashua established a record in the 70-and-over female division. The 70-year-old finished in 59:05 to beat out 2008’s record from Anne Knight (59:18).
Another 70-yeard-old, Lawson Noyes of Kennebunk, Maine, won the male 70-plus division with a time of 44:10.
►Click here for race results from coolrunning.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua elementary teacher honored for real-world lessons - 1
- Elementary students in Farmington offered seven habits of healthy kids - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 15
- Texting + driving = deadly consequences - 0
- Deerfield teacher honored by national science organization - 0
- Institute of Art graduates its largest class in Manchester - 0
- UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos - 23
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 11
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 7
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840